Flat Lay Workshop




I hate when I can't do something well.

Detail shots are hard.  I mean, really hard.

I have had this need to learn how to do them better. Details are a big part of a wedding album. A couple puts so much thought into a wedding and all of its carefully planned elements.

So I needed to get better at them.

We have a local group of students who have taken Amy and Jordan's courses.  We have been meeting up for about two years to practice, to teach each other, and to talk photography--- because no one else in our houses wants to hear about it any more!

We planned a meetup to learn more about and practice detail shots, specifically learning Flat Lays.

We met up at the Parkerville Schoolhouse in Westford.  It's an adorable location to hold a meeting.



Shelby Colonese from Shelby Ann Photography came up from Connecticut and did some instruction.  She shared some of her favorite tools, she taught us some cool tricks for layering, and then she modeled how she goes through the process of designing a flat lay.


And then we had a chance to try our own.  I love this suite from Lumos Calligraphy.



I used an antique table as the background.  This is one of those tables that has a layer of paper that at one point was decoupaged on to it.  Over time, it has peeled away.  I love the way it came out.


Here's another suite from Lumos.



I will now add "Iron Table Cloths" to bridal details prep.  It didn't look so wrinkly in person!



And of course, macarons.






I love the navy envelope with white writing on this envelope from TS Calligraphy.  Shelby encouraged us to work with one envelope to glam it up. Just a simple ribbon, a loose green stem, a stamp, and a wax stamp made all the difference.

Again, the table cloth.....


Sugarhouse Stationery created this suite.  I tried moving around a few things. I started with the hydrangea leaves, but felt like they were too heavy.  



 Still wrinkly fabric.....


And here's another from Sugarhouse Stationery.  I added in the cupcake to fill in that black hole.



These toast books from Wedding Storywriter are so pretty!



Shelby even made these beautiful cupcakes!


Florals for the day were provided by Fiddle and Fern Florals out of Westford.



We had a great day.  I learned a lot about design elements in detail shots and flat lays. I especially learned the importance of ironing a table cloth if you are going to use it as a backdrop!

Most of all, I had a great time creating with others who share a passion for photography!



Comments

Popular Posts