My Grandparents' Wedding Portrait: Massachusetts Family Portrait Photographer


When my Memere passed away, there was so much to go through. She had 98 years’ worth of stuff. My mom wanted me to take some china, some travel mementos, or some of her jewelry, perhaps.


There was only one thing I wanted:  her wedding photo.


Growing up, that photo was everything to me.  My Memere and Pepere didn’t have much.  They were immigrants who worked in the mills. In their wedding portrait, you can see both happiness and fear.  What did the future hold?  How would they ever support children?  What kind of life were they going to make for themselves?  


My Pepere was so handsome, standing there in his suit.  My Memere was so beautiful-- a dainty little woman who never was taller than five feet.  She was drowning in a bouquet of callalilies--- not the bouquet she had ordered, and she wasn’t happy about it.


Her veil was stunning.  I remember staring at the way it swirled around her.  As a young girl, I imagined all the work that went into maintaining that veil throughout the day.  When I attended their church, I could envision her walking down that never-ending aisle with the train behind her.


Over the years, this beautiful photo on the wall provided a conversation piece.  When I visited Memere and Pepere, I asked about the picture.  And my Memere always said, “I hated those flowers!”  And we would laugh.  Hiring a photographer and purchasing a portrait of their wedding day was probably out of their budget, but they did it anyway.  


That photo today is 81 years old. It still hangs in my mother’s house, and I have a smaller one framed.  Memere and Pepere’s wedding portrait sits on my end table in the living room, right next to where I do a lot of my photography work.  It’s an heirloom.  It’s evidence of two young lovebirds who built a solid marriage that lasted 67 years until my grandfather passed away. It’s proof of the love that continued even after he was gone.  It’s the start of a family that included four children, fourteen grandchildren, and twenty-four great grandchildren. That photo is the beginning of a life of adventure, hard work, and a love for God and family.  

Someday, I hope to have their grand portrait.  Until then, I will continue to use that photo as my inspiration for what I do as a photographer:  to provide images that tell your story and give you a conversation piece for generations to come.

© Cara Parker Photography, 2017.
As your photographer, I capture authentic relationships and distinct personalities by creating an interactive portrait session that helps your busy family slow down, laugh, and have fun together.
www.cara-parker.com
Connect with me on facebook or instagram.

Comments

Popular Posts